Chrissie's Reviews > The Pillars of the Earth

The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett
Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Pillars of the Earth.

09/22/2013 marked as: not-for-me
09/22/2013 marked as: not-for-me
04/06/2015 marked as: wishlist-f
04/06/2015 marked as: not-for-me

message 1: by Natacha (new)

Natacha I'm so looking forward to read this one as well! Really loved the dvdbox of it, so I'm really curieus about the book.

message 2: by Chrissie (new) - added it

Chrissie I have heard that the facts are not that accurate. I think it is kind of violent too. I am not sure. Some of my very best friends adore it.

message 3: by Natacha (new)

Natacha Well, I must admit that I'm always curious about a book whenever they make a movie of it. I know most of the time they are nothing alike, but I usually also like the book much, much more then the dvd. And in the end, I never compare the movie with the book...

message 4: by Chrissie (new) - added it

Chrissie Living in Belgium, if we see a movie it will be French. I like them. I like books even better.

message 5: by Natacha (new)

Natacha I can only agree with that! When you read a discreption of a character in a book, you imagine that person the way you would think he/she would look like. But when you see a movie, you see the character the way they think he/she would look like and for some reason, this always disappoints me :( I like my own imagination more :D

message 6: by Chrissie (new) - added it

Chrissie Exactly! Imagination is better. I would rather be told with words how they look! Seriously, I do not have high hopes for this book. That is of course just me.

message 7: by Natacha (new)

Natacha You don't? :( I'm going to give it a try ;-) Usually when a book doesn't have good recommendations I find it a good one *blush* :)

message 8: by Chrissie (new) - added it

Chrissie Some hate it and some love it so there is no way of knowing. I have studied it so much; I think it will not work for me. That is not to say it is a bad book, just that it doesn't fit me. I think it is more of a plot book than character analysis, which I prefer. That it consists of different stories may also bother me.

message 9: by Dimeh (new)

Dimeh I'd head straight for the DVD in this case.. the outline just doesn't grip me enough for me to go through this monster of a book.

Suzanne I wouldn't recommend it for you, Chrissie. I think you would be bothered by the inaccuracies.

message 11: by Chrissie (new) - added it

Chrissie I agree, Suzanne. Simran, I cannot rent this DVD and I have no desire to buy one. I'll just skip it. I was thinking of the audio, but even that is questionable. I do not want to read a book that is made good only by the narrator.