T. Edmund's Reviews > A Wanted Man

A Wanted Man by Lee Child

Aug 31, 12

Read in September, 2012

I debated whether to rank Lee Child's latest as 3 or 4 stars.

A Wanted Man starts well, with Reacher stuck in a car with 3 potential killers, while dramatic irony unfolds all around him. I liked the break from typical Reacher territory, with more of a focus on psychological tension than fisticuffs. Aside from Reacher's dull mathematical daydreams, I would have loved a novel based entirely in the car as Reacher tried to deduce the story behind his three companions.

Alas, it was not to be. About a third of the way into the story Reacher's sense of humour was introduced. I'm not sure if this character has been in the series before, but this time around the only bad-guy I wanted dead was Reacher's wit. Inbetween B-grade 'snappy dialogue' Child keeps the plot moving by way of multiple twist reveals, some of which were predictable as Reacher hitting someone, others just surprising enough to keep the pages turning.

Then by the final quarter Child's clearly just filled in the blanks of his 'Jack Reacher Novel' template and had Reacher punch, shoot and verbally abuse? his way through the climax of the book.

In total A Wanted Man wasn't too bad for the millionth book in a series - I just couldn't shake the feeling that Child has been driven slightly mad by the news of Tom Cruise playing Reacher on the silver screen, and in a fit of cognitive dissonance threw in several kilos of cheesy dialogue and one-liners.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Wanted Man.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Runonbrisbane Agree with your comments. The car scene seemed to be building nicely then just went away. Not sure how you squeezed so many stars in to your rating though.

message 2: by T. (new) - rated it 4 stars

T. Edmund Runonbrisbane wrote: "Agree with your comments. The car scene seemed to be building nicely then just went away. Not sure how you squeezed so many stars in to your rating though."

Just being nice

message 3: by Madgie (new) - added it

Madgie hahahaha..I loved Tom Cruise take. I have only seen one Mission Impossible movie but even I thought Cruise's version of Reacher was brawler version of Ethan Hawke and did not really care for him. I will stick to the books but not looking forward to what you call "cheesy Cruise madness" that Child may be enlivening through Reacher.

message 4: by T. (new) - rated it 4 stars