Angela's Reviews > Vampire Academy

Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead

Dec 23, 2008

bookshelves: books-i-own, monsters-and-creatures
Read in December, 2008

Ok, I'm giving this series a shot even though I know only 3 of the 5 planned books have been released. I have been assured that it's worth starting now and not waiting for all the books to be out. Here I go!

---------

I'm not sure if I'm glad I started this series or not ... because I really liked this first book and I know there are still 2 more books (after the next two in my pile) that have yet to be released!

It's another interesting take on the vampire myth. Lissa is a vampire princess and Rose is her friend/guardian in training. They have both just been taken back to St. Vladimir's Academy where they ran away from two years earlier and are dealing with the repurcussions of running away - the punishment from the administration and students alike - as well as the reason they ran away in the first place.

The story is told from Rose's perspective, although you do get quite a bit from Lissa's POV as well since Rose & Lissa have a bond that allows Rose to be in Lissa's head from time to time. Rose is a GREAT character and I thoroughly enjoyed the experience of the story from her side. She is snarky, tough, reckless, smart-aleck, loyal, and dedicated. I really got a kick out of her reactions and comments, and loved how fierce she was in protecting Lissa not matter what the consequences.

I also liked the way the story was presented - you jump right into the action, not sure exactly what's going on. Things are referred to but not explained fully right at the beginning so I was constantly trying to figure out what was going or had happened in the past ... but in a good way that kept me reading, not in a bad way that made me want to toss the book out the window.

I'm excited to start the next book now!
6 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Vampire Academy.

12/20/2008 "Is it just me or does the girl on the cover totally look like Angelina Jolie? Ok, back to reading." 1 comment

Erin Yours is the only review of this book that I've heard, so I'm glad you liked it. I will not read this series until the other two books are written. I have been reading another series from this author and she has a tendency to tick me off and leave things in a bad place so I refuse to start this one until I can get ALL of the story.

Angela That's funny. I was hesitant to start it as well, but had someone tell me it was worth it to start now. But in a review of the 3rd book, this person said something happened that wasn't what she was expecting but it still worked, so maybe you would be ticked off by it? I hope I'm not .... I'll let you know!

Angela Erin wrote: "Yours is the only review of this book that I've heard, so I'm glad you liked it. I will not read this series until the other two books are written. I have been reading another series from this au..."

SpeedReader wrote: "That's funny. I was hesitant to start it as well, but had someone tell me it was worth it to start now. But in a review of the 3rd book, this person said something happened that wasn't what she w..."

I take that back ... I just finished the 3rd book and you'd TOTALLY be ticked off by what happens. I'm a little upset myself at the moment so I can't bring myself to write a review about it yet!