Holli's Reviews > The Story of Edgar Sawtelle

The Story of Edgar Sawtelle by David Wroblewski

Jan 01, 09

Where to begin with this one.....I honestly would never have read this book if I had not had other's trusted opinions egging me on. I don't normally read animal books, or books about nature and people in the wild, or extremely wordy novels that go on and on about trees and such.

This book was nothing like any of that.

Instead it was magnificently worded with adjectives I loved (I'm big on adjectives) and the characters had personalities that are even now still in my head. I cheered on Edgar, loved Almondine like I love my 16 year old cat, puzzled over Trudy, cried over Gar and even Page, wanted to hang out with Henry, and tried to figure out how bad or how good Claude really was. This book was truly wonderful.

Thank you to all of you that pushed me to read it.....I loved every page of it.
21 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Story of Edgar Sawtelle.

12/21/2008 page 15
12/23/2008 page 35
5.76% 2 comments
12/25/2008 page 79
12.99% "Getting very into this story now......." 4 comments
12/26/2008 page 141
23.19% "Started section 2.....loving it"
12/27/2008 page 245
40.3% "Starting Section 3 now........."
12/28/2008 page 400
65.79% "I absolutely love this book" 2 comments
12/31/2008 page 576
94.74% 2 comments
show 22 hidden updates…

message 1: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Wait, I thought you decided against reading this...?

Holli Now its been picked for my in person book club here in Columbus so I'm going to try it and see what happens......... lol

message 3: by Jo (new)

Jo I didn't finish it!

message 4: by Kimberly (new) - added it

Kimberly I'm curious what you think of it Holli, keep me posted! My mother-in-law gave it to me as a Christmas gift :-)

Holli I am really liking it more and more with each page......I hope you do too!!

message 6: by Courtney (new) - added it

Courtney Will I like it, Hol? I too keep putting it off because of my falling asleep issue...xo

Peace!

Holli I absolutely love this book.....the first part starts slow but once you get past section one its awesome and really fast-paced Courtney!! Let me know what you think :)

message 8: by Lynlee4 (new) - added it

Lynlee4 I'm so afraid of books with animals, especially dogs! Is this one a tear jerker?

Holli I had that fear too Lynlee but if you love dogs you will LOVE this book.

KrisT Oh I am so glad you picked it up and went for it Holli. I loved this book too.

message 11: by Cindy (new) - added it

Cindy I think the size intimidates me a bit--- it has been a great coffee table piece :) --- I am encouraged by Holli's comments - maybe I will give it another try.

Holli You won't even think about how many pages it is once you get into the story....it will just fly by Cindy!!

Susan "wordy novels that go on and on about trees and such" made me laugh so much that I *almost* want to get it as a tattoo. Almost.

It never "flew by" for me, but it did pick up speed considerably. And I did find the second section almost--dare I say--humorous. Can't wait to discuss with you!

Holli Well I mean really....some books take three paragraphs to say "the leaves were blowing in the wind". That drives me nuts! I'm also not big on "the cat moved like silk in the night....." said with a whisper I mean my god.... Come on now! :)

Dolly I am going to get this book from our bookstore this afternoon. Holli, I have agreed with the reviews you have given on the books we have in common and since you gave this such an awesome review, I'm going to buy it (since my library doesn't have it at all).

Holli I really hope you love it then Dolly.... :) Enjoy!!

message 17: by Mary (new)

Mary Crabtree Holli, I've had Sawtelle on my shelf for a few months and after your review am thinking I better get on the stick and read it!

Holli I seem to love books that others don't care for so I hope you like it Mary. Lately, I've been feeling as if my tastes may be totally different than everyone else's, but that's ok. I can deal with that. lol

Daryl I just finished it, and loved it! I did shed some tears.

Holli It was really good huh Daryl? I'm hoping you will lead the discussion for us at the potluck if Nicole doesn't wish to do it.....I really would love to talk about this book!

message 21: by Lizzi (new) - added it

Lizzi Holli-I'm on page 218 and am loving it. I hate to read too much at one sitting because I just don't want it to end!

Holli I felt that same way Lizzi :) Once you are done let me know and we'll chat about it!

message 23: by Lizzi (new) - added it

Lizzi Definitely!:) It's refreshing to read this book slowly - there is so much to absorb.

message 24: by Mary (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mary Same here. I would not have read this without endorsements from 3 trusted friends. It's interesting that this book either gets 5 stars or 1 star and not much in between. I just sent the Kindle version to a friend. We'll see how she ranks it.

Holli I hope she likes it... I definitely think it's one you either love or hate.