Booknblues's Reviews > Enduring Love

Enduring Love by Ian McEwan

Jan 18, 2016

bookshelves: 1001-books-you-must-read-before-you, contemporary-fiction, england
Read in November, 2011 — I own a copy

A wayward baloon, a young boy inside it and six men grabbing ropes and trying to reel him into safety. With the wind working against them, it turns to tragedy with one of them dead. For Joe Rose, a scientific jornalist who was among those attempting to bring the boy to safety and his wife Clarissa, this would be a defining line for their lives as Ian McEwan details in his novel Enduring Love.

I’ve never read anything by Ian McEwan before and though this very book had been sitting on my shelf for well over 5 years, I didn’t quite know what to expect. It certainly wasn’t the dark Hitchcockian feel of a world in which each shadow appears differently to every character or the Glenn Close, Fatal Attraction of the obssessed stalker, but that is exactly what I found. Hours after Joe and Clarissa Rose return home, Jed Parry one of the other men holding onto the balloon rope begins to insinuate his way into their lives.

Clarissa and Joe view the intrusion differently which tests the strengths of their love. McEwan is a skilled author who is able to keep the reader guessing and slightly off balance, creating that wonderful vertigo that the best of thrillers produces.

I love a good thriller and found that I couldn’t put Enduring Love down until the last page. I found that I have gone past my McEwan block and hope to read more.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Enduring Love.