Booknblues's Reviews > Every Day in Tuscany: Seasons of an Italian Life

Every Day in Tuscany by Frances Mayes

Aug 31, 12

When you are low on budget and longing to get away and experience all the sights, sounds, food and a little camaraderie of Tuscany, immerse yourself in Frances Mayes book, Every Day in Tuscany. It is easy to understand Mayes’ joy in her home in Tuscany. She loves the food, the land, the people and takes you on a trip exploring the artwork of Signorelli, a personal favorite of Mayes.

I find myself wanting to share the work with her in her kitchen, and I especially want to sit at her outdoor table and taste the pizzas coming out of her oven and all the other bounty, which she so wonderfully describes:

“The choreography of the kitchen --I peel, you scrape, wine spills, bag splits, beans simmer, sink slurps, petals fall, flour drifts, crust splits, aromas spread, lights flicker, chocolate melts, glass shatters, sauce thickens, finger bleeds, cheese ripens crumbs fall, sweat drips, spoon bangs, meat glistens, oil spatters, wine breathes, garlic smashes, lettuces float, silver shines, apron snags, you sneeze, I sing oh, my love, my darling and dough rises in soft moons the size of my cupped hand as planet earth tilts us toward dinner.”

With such writing the book is a joy to read and this reader is glad to know that Frances so enjoys her home in Tuscany after twenty years when she first purchased Bramasole and invited readers into her home and her journey in Tuscany.

The reader should expect to read much about food, and even some amazing looking recipes, get to know Mayes, family, friends and neighbors and discover much about the Tuscan Renaissance painter, Signorelli. For me it was all a pleasure.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Every Day in Tuscany.