Kathleen's Reviews > Breaking the Rules

Breaking the Rules by Cat Lavoie

Sep 01, 12

Read from August 31 to September 01, 2012

When twenty-seven year old New Yorker Roxy Rule's best friend and roommate Ollie Frost tells her that he received a promotion at the architectural firm he works for, and is moving to London to oversee a construction of a building, her world turns upside down. Roxy and Ollie have known each other since birth and through the years they've become inseparable. Now faced with him leaving her behind, Roxy feels like her life is falling apart: she hates her job as an assistant to the ever-needy public relations owner Greta Kilborn; and trying to make wedding plans with her overbearing and stiff fiance Ethan Covington causes disagreements between them. And if that isn't enough to throw her for a loop, Ollie kisses her when he leaves for the airport and she kisses him back! Feeling mixed emotions about "the kiss" and trying not to over analyze and doubt everything in her life, Roxy gets another surprise when her two sisters Steffi and Izzie show up on her doorstep! Can Roxy's life get anymore complicated? Will Roxy and Ollie remain friends, or will the long-distance and "the kiss" change their friendship? Will Roxy break the rules and stand up for what she wants in her life, or will she continue to go along with everyone else's plans?

Breaking the Rules is an entertaining lighthearted story about a young woman who's juggling many of life's balls in the air while trying to figure out what she wants out of her life. Written in a witty and fun way, the story is told in the first person narrative by the quirky main character Roxy Rule, the reader follows along as Roxy tries to figure out what to do with her topsy-turvy life. You can't help but feel for Roxy and the uncertainty that she feels, everyone can relate to that at some time in their life. With family, career, friendship and romance issues, I enjoyed following Ruby's journey to discover what matters most in her life. The author does a wonderful job of weaving a fun tale that provides drama, romance, humor, twists and turns that captivates the reader and engages them to wonder what will happen next.

The cast of characters are realistic, quirky and down right entertaining! I loved the dynamic of Roxy and Ollie's friendship, you could just feel how well they fit together and how much they really care for each other, even if they didn't realize the depth of it until after "the kiss" happened. I really loved Roxie and Ollie's personalities: she's sassy and lovable but still a bit insecure; while he's a dream man and best friend rolled into one! I was not a fan of Roxy's needy boss Greta, her controlling fiance Ethan, or Ollie's bitchy girlfriend Rachel; their snooty, uptight, overbearing personalities drove me nuts. I loved Roxy's quirky friends Emma, Adam and Tali and her crazy sisters Steffi and Izzie. The dialogues and interactions between the characters kept me in stitches, they were so much fun to get to know, and they made the story that much more of an enjoyable and fun read!

Breaking the Rules is a wonderful story about the dynamics of family, friendships, relationships and going after your life's dreams. It is a story that has a mixture of comedy, romance and drama that will keep you engaged and laughing, while providing a twist that keeps you guessing! Kudos to author Cat Lavoie on a wonderful debut novel!

Disclaimer: I received a copy of the book from the author in exchange for honest review and participation in a virtual book tour event hosted by Chick Lit Plus Blog Tours.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Breaking the Rules.