Amar Pai's Reviews > Epic Win for Anonymous: An Online Army Conquers the Media

Epic Win for Anonymous by Cole Stryker

Sep 04, 2012

did not like it
bookshelves: cursorily-skimmed

Such a lazy, stupid book. I can't believe how little effort went into this. It's just a bunch of one paragraph descriptions of stuff you could google in 10 seconds. There's a chapter that's literally just a list of 4chan topics. Could you get any lazier?

In the introduction, Stryker basically admits this book has the depth of a drained kiddie pool:
4chan is a multimedia experience, and there's only so much information that can be conveyed on the printed page. I highly encourage the reader to read this book near a computer so you can look up pertinent information as you go. If you're having trouble wrapping your head around a specific concept, online resources like Google, Wikipedia and Know Your Meme will help fill in the blanks.
Translation: "I didn't bother coming up with a thesis or doing any actual research. Try the web instead!"

If you need to get up to speed on memes, try Know Your Meme.

If you're interested in the actual concept of Anonymous, this book will give you zero insight into that phenomenon.

Hopefully someday a more thoughtful writer will tackle the subject.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Epic Win for Anonymous.

Comments <span class="smallText"> (showing 1-3 of 3) </span> <span class="smallText">(3 new)</span>

message 1: by Brian (new)

Brian look forward to hearing about it. just added another hacker book you added to the listopia by the way, thanks! :) be sure to add this one too if it's quality (and not already on your list)

message 2: by Brian (new)

Brian oh, ouch.

message 3: by Kyusik (new)

Kyusik Chung I'd like a "not interested" button when a friend's review confirms that I won't want to waste time on a book...