Morgan Elliott's Reviews > A Bad Case of Stripes

U 50x66
Sep 06, 12

bookshelves: picture-story-books
Read in September, 2012

This is by far my favorite David Shannon book. It’s theme and storyline is very easy to relate too and a great read aloud for kids. The entire story is about a girl who is cursed with a skin disease that gives her stripes, stars, and later branches and feathers. She is ridiculed at school and not one doctor can give her a proper diagnosis. Finally, a sweet old lady comes to the rescue by feeding her lima beans. A common lesson we are trying to teach our kids; always eat your vegetables. This story has a very insightful and interesting take on that old saying. After reading it, a child is certain to say to themselves, “I better eat those veggies!” 2nd and 3rd graders are most likely to enjoy this book because of the rather complex vocabulary and length. However, this would be a great read aloud for almost anyone. The pictures are very bold and colorful but with a very realistic aspect, which is why I rate it with 4 stars. I think the story and especially the illustrations will give the children a great artistic imagination.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Bad Case of Stripes.