Timothy Hallinan's Reviews > The Girl in the Glass

The Girl in the Glass by Jeffrey Ford

1619829
Aug 31, 12

Read in August, 2012

This wonderful book was pressed upon me by an employee in one of the bookstores I signed in earlier this year, and many, many thanks are due.

It's a tale set in the 1930s, during the long stupidity of prohibition, about three con artists whose specialty is seances, and their encounter with what just might be a real ghost that, in turn, leads them into exploring a particularly heinous murder. I loved this book, which won an Edgar in 2005 for best paperback original, and promptly went out and bought three other Jeffrey Ford novels.

It's intelligent and fascinatingly plotted, and the characters are all in three dimensions. I'm writing a series now that's all crooks, so I know how much fun it is to create them, but I'm in awe of Jeffrey Ford's crooks -- the breadth of the spectrum and how true they all ring.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girl in the Glass.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Karen (new)

Karen I read this a couple of years ago and liked it too

Timothy Hallinan Karen wrote: "I read this a couple of years ago and liked it too"
I've got two other Ford books waiting for me, and read one other, THE PORTRAIT OF MRS. CHARBUQUE, which I liked quite a lot, but not as much as THE GIRL IN THE GLASS.