Craig's Reviews > How to Write a Damn Good Novel: A Step-by-Step No Nonsense Guide to Dramatic Storytelling

How to Write a Damn Good Novel by James N. Frey

Dec 24, 08

bookshelves: writing-and-reading, to-read-low

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How to Write a Damn Good Novel.

message 1: by Danielle (new)

Danielle Wait, did you notice the author? Do you really want to read this? Although...it was fiction and a bestsetller, so maybe his advice is valid.

message 2: by Craig (new) - added it

Craig Hmm. I must be missing something. What's the story behind the author?

message 3: by Danielle (new)

Danielle Really? You don't remember a couple years ago there was a big uproar over James Frey's "memoir" called "A Million Tiny Pieces." I never read it, but it's apparently pretty harrowing, and it was a bestseller and an Oprah bookclub book, and then it came out that a lot of the events in his book didn't fit a true timeline of his life, and finally he admitted he'd fabricated parts of it. It created a huge discussion in the writing community about memoir, fiction vs. nonfiction, and creative license. Basically, he's considered a scumbag.

message 4: by Craig (new) - added it

Craig Oh yeah, that guy. I guess I didn't put two and two together. Well, that dulls my interest in reading it a bit.