Karen's Reviews > Temptation in a Kilt

Temptation in a Kilt by Victoria  Roberts

Aug 31, 12

Read in August, 2012

This was a DNF for me... it wasn't horrible, but just... not my cuppa.

The way the author was writing their accents was starting to get on my nerves, and she used several Gaelic phrases with no translation... fine for staunch Scottish enthusiasts, not so great for the casual romance reader. (And no, no glossary in back-- I checked.) There's a little thesaurus abuse, too-- for example, she uses "glanced" in place of "looked" or "gazed" several times, even where it doesn't really fit the action (as in, "she glanced upon the view").

I didn't really warm to the H/h too well, either... she was a bit too much of an emotional jack-in-the-box, and his vow felt too much like a convenient plot device. And sadly, one of the main villains of the piece might as well have been wearing a "VILLAIN" sign, with how clearly supposedly secret motives were being telegraphed. (Yes, I read the ending before I put it down-- the person was and did exactly what I expected. Too predictable.)

Not bad for lovers of Scottish romance who want to be steeped in it the culture, but not without its problems.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Temptation in a Kilt.