Estara's Reviews > The Story of Saiunkoku, Vol. 6

The Story of Saiunkoku, Vol. 6 by Kairi Yura

Aug 31, 12

bookshelves: manga, read-in-2012
Recommended for: fans of the series
Read on May 16, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 1

** spoiler alert ** This, to me, is one of the hardest volumes Shurei has to survive, because I find insidious bullying much harder to take and read than open animosity and action. Shurei and Eigetsu reach incredibly high ranks in the civil servant exams and because Shurei is a woman and Eigetsu is a young boy they get mercilessly bullied from their direct superiors and everyone else. Ryuki is well aware of the fact and also knows that any exterior help he or one of the others might give would destroy Shurei's and Eigetsu's achievements in the eyes of the court (and maybe themselves?). Even the unthinking support of Seiran is something Shurei realises she can't lean on this time.

It's a harsh growing up lesson in the cut throat world of court politics but at the end there's a light at the end of the tunnel as the other beginning examinees and new civil servants are starting to show support and respect for their work.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Story of Saiunkoku, Vol. 6.