Inga's Reviews > Return to Willow Lake

Return to Willow Lake by Susan Wiggs

Aug 31, 12

Read in August, 2012

My review:

Return to Willow Lake was a first Susan Wiggs' book I have read and I liked it! It was well written, emotional and heart-warming. Reading Return to Willow Lake was like coming home - it was safe, comforting and created lots of great feelings. The novel is a standalone part of her Lakeshore Chronicles.

Plot:

Sonnet is a young woman whose life is filled with possibilities- her UNESCO career has just rocketed with the opportunity of lifetime of getting a world known fellowship, she has a boyfriend who is responsible and supportive, she has established a relationship with her dad. Everything seems so nice and safe.

When Sonnet is visiting her home town Avalon for her best friend's wedding, she reconnects with her best friend from her childhood and school time - Zach. Zach has grown into a gorgeous young man who lives in Avalon and making living of filming and making videos. Zach is quite successful at what he is doing and has no intentions of leaving Avalon - until the day he meets Sonnet again during the wedding.

After an amazing adventure together during the wedding night, Sonnet flees back to her life in New York and tries to forget the night with Zach by convincing herself, that they can't be friends again. She pushes Zach out of her life again to concentrate to her career and tighten the contacts with her dad. Sonnet's dad is a man with military background who is running for the Senate and is preparing for the elections.

During the same time Sonnet get the approval for fellowship to travel abroad, she gets bad news regarding her mother back home in Avalon.

Everything changes and what seemed comfortable, nice and safe is not valid anymore. Big parts of Sonnet's life is turned upside town and suddenly Sonnet finds herself back in Avalon supporting her mother and with the job which is very far from her career in New York.

I truly liked the plot: It was not too complicated, but had interesting story lines which made the reading into a enjoyable experience. The story flowed very smoothly and it grabbed me. The relationships between the characters were well-formed and believable and the plot was heavily character driven which was fun.

Characters:

As said, the story was character driven and had an important role to carry. Return to Willow Lake was rich of characters and both the main characters and supportive characters were lively and easy to relate to and understand.

I liked Sonnet. I did not understand why she kept telling herself that it was not possible to be a friend with Zach, but enjoyed all her other characteristics. She was kind, loyal, smart and it was easy for me to relate to her. I adored her for being so loyal and loving to her mother, I think that was wonderfully written by the author.

I adored Sonnet's mother, her being so brave, caring and loving. I think the relationship between Sonnet and her mom what the most important relationship in this book for me. author did an excellent job with this!

Sonnet's dad was also intriguing. I have to admit, that he was little predictable for my taste, but I found it interesting how his mind was operating and how he acted to get rid of his own daughter. Sonnet's boyfriend was similar to him. He would do absolutely anything to achieve what he wanted not hesitating the means to get it. I despise that in a human being.

Another character who I would like to mention is Jezebel. She was so cool! I would love to have a friend like her, I think everybody would!

Generally:

Return to Willow Lake by Susan Wiggs is a wonderful book about family, relationships, loyalty and finding love. I highly recommend it!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Return to Willow Lake.