Joan's Reviews > The Age of Desire

The Age of Desire by Jennie Fields

Aug 31, 12

Read in August, 2012

I received this book in the mail as a gift from Jennie Fields. I was excited to read it since Edith Wharton is one of the authors I really like. (Ethan Frome, The House of Mirth etc.) Edith was a great philanthopist and fighter for the underdog during her life, giving much to charity. She had written over 40 novels along with short stores and poems. I knew she was married for 20 some years but didn't know she was virtually a virgin during her whole marriage. She had a loveless marriage and eventually she fell in love with a rascal names Morton Fullerton who used her but taught her what she had been missing in her life. The book describes her life and affair with him.
I was a little blindsided with a VERY vivid sex scene. It is also the story of her secretary Anna, who was also her friend and governess and who was faithful to her for life. Edith's journals and diary entries are woven throughout the book. Jennie Fields did a good job writing this book, but the sex scenes were too much for me. I felt like I was reading a smart but bawdy Harlequin romance. I could not recommend this book to my moral, straight laced friends or even to myself.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Age of Desire.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Jennie Fields Joan,
Do I know you? I don't believe I sent this to you as a gift. Perhaps someone else did? Or my publisher?
Jennie Fields

Joan Jennie, I got it from the giveaway (I thought) from Good Reads. Maybe the publisher puts them on here. You are a talented writer. Keep it up.

Jennie Fields Thanks, Joan. That explains it. Yes, my publisher is the one who puts up the giveaways.

Shannon Phelps Jennie , ignore the rudeness about
The sex scene! It was fabulous writing:)

Jennie Fields Shannon wrote: "Jennie , ignore the rudeness about
The sex scene! It was fabulous writing:)"
Thanks, Shannon. I suspect the sex scenes may be too much for some people, and Joan was just expressing her opinion. But I definitely appreciate the kind words!

Shannon Phelps One if the best reads ever!
Excellent writing.

Jennie Fields Shannon wrote: "One if the best reads ever!
Excellent writing."

Thanks so much, Shannon. You are so kind to take the time to tell me. Writers write all alone. It's great getting feedback like yours!