Sally Siawidjaja's Reviews > Setan Angka: Sebuah Petualangan Matematika

Setan Angka by Hans Magnus Enzensberger

Feb 07, 09

bookshelves: non-fiksi, terjemahan, fantasy-adventure
Recommended to Sally by: no one
Recommended for: Anyone who wants to learn math
Read in February, 2009, read count: 1

With the increased pressure for globalization, people and countries are beginning to add value and become more competitive. I notice math lesson at schools become more difficult, compared to when I was at school. Along with this, study methods and books become more innovative and creative. This book "The Number Devil" is one of example of creative learning. I like the idea of making learning fun by combining knowledge and fantasy adventure. It combines math study with fantasy story.

The story is basically about Robert who met a Number Devil in his dream and was taught math. It has 12 chapters with different math subject from Fibonacci sequence to calculating probability.

This is the first book of its kind that I've read. It's not bad and quite entertaining, although there were some explanations from the Number Devil that I don't fully understand.

However, I do think this book still focus too much on giving the knowledge and too little on the fantasy story. For me, it was lacking the fun part. As soon as I finished reading the book, I forgot about the mathematics.

The reason why math is considered a boring subject because many people can't find its uses in daily life. When we have grown up and work in a field which doesn't require math at all, we forgot all our studies, only the basic additions, subtractions, divisions, and multiplications that's often used. So, when one day we found a problem that can be solved using math (for example: like counting cards in a casino. LOL), we already forgotten how to apply math to find the solution.

On story-wise, I would like to read a story much like Wizard of Oz or Alice in Wonderland, where Robert has to find a way out of the dream world. Along the way, he found real life obstacle that need to be solved using math. Robert will have the Number Devil as its sidekick to help Robert. Maybe the Number Devil can be a representation of his teacher, who is in real life really trying to help Robert with his math problem. Maybe, with daily life application on Math, the knowledge might stick a bit.

Anyway, the question is: Are you smarter than a 5th grader? If not, read this book first.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Setan Angka.