Lynn 's Reviews > Ash

Ash by James Herbert

Sep 12, 12

bookshelves: fiction-horror
Read from August 31 to September 12, 2012

If I could give more than 5 stars I would as this is James Herbert at his greatest!

The third in the David Ash series but equally the third that can be read as stand alone books.

David Ash is a renowned Parapsychologist who is asked to investigate the seemingly supernatural murder of a guest in a remote castle in the farthest reaches of Scotland. The whole premise being pre-empted by signing a contract of utmost secrecy about all his findings. Something which is utterly unheard of in the society he works for.

The castle is a retreat for the heads of society and those rich enough to afford any scandal. David soon realises the kind of patronage includes those members of society that have needed to escape the prying ever present media. Bringing back to life many cold conspiracy theories he had long since forgotten.

This is not the only evil lingering in and around the castle grounds. A brooding and malicious event is conjuring strength from someone or something and it's David's job to stop it, if he can.

An amazing piece of writing from the master of British horror, filled with macabre musings and un fettered humour. I honestly didn't want to finish this book but couldn't stop greedily turning the pages.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ash.

09/05/2012 page 98
show 3 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Wendy (new) - added it

Wendy Unsworth Ah! Thanks for the info re whether this could be read as a stand -alone, I just bought it not knowing it was third in a series so you review is very useful!