Steve Capell's Reviews > Sweat

Sweat by Mark Gilleo

Aug 31, 12

Read in August, 2012

The plot of this thriller brings the reader face to face with what life must be like working in a sweat shop and more importantly how life must be like for those that do find themselves gainly employed or should I say gainly imprisoned in a sweat job ? While this book is fictional it does bring to light how greed and politics can corrupt and destroy lives of innocent people and this allowed me to feel a multitude of emotions while turning the pages of this international thriller. The plot moves along at a very brisk speed and I found myself fascinated by the ongoing, "on the edge of your seat" suspense. I had trouble finding a place to stop reading as the overall plot kept me well engaged and always wanting more.

The voice and language is descriptive and believable. I really liked the following passage in Chapter 28 and this will give you a flavor of the descriptive language that makes up this novel:

"The old apartment was an orchestra of creaks and squeaks, groans and moans. The steps, the banister, the doors, the windows, all kept rhythm. The pipes to the sink, shower, and toilet hit all the high notes in various pitch. When the infamous D.C. summer thunderstorms blew in during the late afternoon and early evening, the whole building rattled and rolled."

The characters are complex, fully developed, and they fit together nicely where they were required to fit together and when they were on the opposite end of spectrum they played off each other like a great game of cat and mouse. I found some of the characters I loved and others ... well let's just say that maybe only their mothers could love them and that may be a stretch for some mothers.

Who should read this novel?

Anyone that likes fast paced thrillers with well developed characters will want to pick this one up. I am glad I took some precious reading time and read Sweat by Mark Gilleo. I am sure you too will enjoy this one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sweat.