Twinklesmile's Reviews > Aurelia

Sep 05, 2012

liked it
Read from August 31 to September 04, 2012

3.5/5
Aurelia is a princess, next in line to claim the throne of Tyralt. When several assassination attempts are made on the princess of Tyralt, Aurelia’s childhood friend and son of King’s former spy, Robert returns to investigate. An assassin trailing the princess, a spy obstinate enough to find the assassin and a headstrong female character? I was definitely excited to read Aurelia.
Let’s talk about the plot first. The whole idea was great and it had the potential to be an exceptional read but its execution lacked details. It was kind of hollow. Not much was happening and the constant sense of danger that you would feel for the person with an assassin on her trail, was gone. The mystery wasn’t entangled as it should have been but it did keep me guessing till the end. There wasn’t much action still; it was engaging enough to keep me reading.
Now on to the characters, Aurelia at first appeared as a headstrong protagonist but with each passing page I felt more and more disconnected to her. From time to time her action annoyed me, and left me rolling my eyes. Robert on the other hand would have been a crush worthy character if only the author would’ve put a little bit more details into his character. I liked him and strived to know more about him but there wasn’t much to learn. The side characters like Drew, Chris and Melony were good but like I said before the author didn’t give you much to picture them in your head.
The writing style was good. Aurelia was written in third person and it was pretty easy to keep up with everything happening. Although the description of surroundings sometimes got over the top and it pulled me out of the flow sometimes, yet Aurelia proved to be a pretty engaging read. The mood of the book was mysterious and frankly, quite dull. The talk about horses got me interested. I would have liked to know more about the setting in which the story had taken place but sadly there wasn’t much to learn.
The romance in the book was not well developed. When the story is about a princess and especially when it is a historical fiction, romance does come to your mind. Although I am not a huge fan of romance, yet I felt the relationship between Aurelia and Robert lacked development.
On the whole Aurelia is a quick, light, engaging and a pretty decent read with a mystery that will keep you guessing till the end.
I’ll recommend it to YA historical fiction fans.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Aurelia.

Eileen The sequel is much better. I read it first and loved it. Lots of tension and romance, adventure and mystery and the third sounds even better. Aurelia left some to be desired. Try Exile - it's better. Loved it.