Liviania's Reviews > Insignia

Insignia by S.J. Kincaid

Aug 30, 12

I've been craving science fiction lately, and INSIGNIA hit the spot. In the not to distant future, war is fought by children controlling ships in space with their brains. If that doesn't sound awesome to you, INSIGNIA may not be your kind of book. Tom Raines travels throughout the country with his gambler father, but he's getting tired of hustling unsuspecting gamers for a living. When he's offered a position at the military academy to become one of the few, super important Combatants, he jumps at the chance.

I loved the character details in INSIGNIA. Teamwork is useful when fighting a war, but while Tom makes friends he isn't good at working with others. But he has a talent for attack that most of his classmates lack. I loved Wyatt, one of the girl recruits, who is also one of the few who is proficient at programming. (Programming is the one subject where the recruits can't be helped by machines.) I am also in love with the unconventional romance storyline. I cannot wait to see what happens to Tom's ill-advised courtship in the next novel. INSIGNIA introduces an intriguing new voice in young adult science fiction.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Insignia.