Candice's Reviews > Fading Light: An Anthology of the Monstrous

Fading Light by Tim Marquitz

F_50x66
Aug 30, 12

bookshelves: fiction

I received an advanced ebook copy of this anthology from my good friend Jake Elliot, who has a story featured in it. The ebook version is great, because you get an extra group of stories not featured in the hard copy edition (which I will also be purchasing).

Rather than individually review each story, I'd like to comment on the overall experience of reading the anthology. This is great horror writing. In my opinion, too many horror movies and books now-a-days are nothing but a bunch of pointless blood and gore packaged together with flat, idiotic, one dimensional characters who walk blindly from attack to attack.

What makes this great writing, in my humble opinion, is that these stories look into the dark side of human nature. Sure there are monsters: krakens, aliens, zombies, black water from the center of the moon, spirits kidnapped from the center of the sun, huge whale-like angels... but these stories are about humanity. The overreaching theme is the loss of the sun, the earth being plunged into darkness, and what emerges from that perpetual midnight. More often than not the real monster is inside of us.

The greatest compliment I can give all the writers in Fading Light is this... time after time while reading my mind went back to one of the first Ray Bradbury stories I ever read... "All Summer In A Day." A colony of humans live on Mars, where the sun shines for a half hour every 7 years. At school a girl, Margot, remembers the sun because she moved from earth only 5 years ago. The other kids are hateful bullies and lock Margot in a closet, causing her to miss the sun because they were jealous of her previous experience. As a kid, this was my first reading experience highlighting the dark, monstrous side of humanity...

Fading Light echoed my Bradbury experience in the best way possible. This is a talented group of authors, some well established and some up-and-coming. I highly recommend this anthology to not only fans of horror, but to fans of quality, thought-provoking writing.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________

What my stars mean:

5 stars... this book changed the way I view life. It made me a better thinker/reader/writer/person. It holds a special place in my heart

4 stars... this book is great... I would read it again, it exceeded my expectations and I would recommend it to others.

3 stars... this is a good book. It delivered what it promised. 3 stars is a good thing, not a disparagement.

2 stars... meh, I finished it, that's all I can say. It's just alright

1 star... don't even bother...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fading Light.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tim (new)

Tim Marquitz Thank you for the great review. It's great to see what folks think after sitting with this book for so long. :)