Becky's Reviews > An Awesome Book!

An Awesome Book! by Dallas Clayton

Aug 30, 12

bookshelves: 2012, childrens-books, reviewed, made-my-eyes-bleed
Read on August 31, 2012

Read this online for free here: http://www.veryawesomeworld.com/aweso... (Thanks StumbleUpon!)

So, yeah, this was OK. Just OK, really. Very colorful, but nothing really exceptional. Just an exercise in thinking up the most whimsical scenarios possible, and fitting them into rhyme, with full color illustrations to match, with a moral to not lose the whimsy of childhood's imagination and whatnot. You know, "Dream Big!"

That's all well and good. Right now, I'm imagining a purple polka-dotted Beluga whale singing opera while juggling 36 clowns wearing kimonos (what? this is my imagination and if I say that Beluga whales have hands with which to juggle, then dammit, they do!). I'm imagining that, but it's not doing anything for me, because it's not relevant to my interests or my life anymore.

So, instead, I do boring adult things like dream about the house I want to live in, or the furniture I'd fill it with, or the job I would need to pay for those things. I dream about the life I want to have, rather than "dancing wild animals with diamond coated wings".

But, it's a children's book and it's colorful. Cliche out the wazoo... but colorful. I mean, couldn't it at least have emphasized inventiveness? Something even remotely useful? Dream of what you want to be, or what you want to do, or how you want the world to be... Dream of creating a machine that washes socks without losing any of them... But no.

No, this book is just insipid. Dream the biggest, biiiiiiiiiiiiigest craziest most hugestest wild dream evar!

Yup. Remember kids... Dream big! Because one day those dreams will get you through your shift at Mickey D's.

Eh, you know what, 2 stars is really giving this a lot of credit.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read An Awesome Book!.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jason (new)

Jason Koivu "Remember kids... Dream big! Because one day those dreams will get you through your shift at Mickey D's."

LOL! Nice.

Becky Heh... Thanks!

This book was thisclose to being a DNF. And you know, considering that it's only 30-some pages, and each of those pages has only a handful of words... that's not great.

Maybe I have to be 3 years old to appreciate this one.

message 3: by Jason (new)

Jason Koivu Becky wrote: "Heh... Thanks!

Maybe I h..."

Or on the drugs, perhaps.

Becky Perhaps!

message 5: by Denise (new)

Denise Wow. Bitter much? I hope you don't work with kids!

Becky Denise wrote: "Wow. Bitter much? I hope you don't work with kids!"

LOL... Sure... I'm bitter because I have standards. That's OK, my kids will read better books for it.