Nicole Fowler's Reviews > Between the Lines

Between the Lines by Jodi Picoult

9920632
Aug 30, 12

Read in August, 2012

1. Did you like the book? Why/why not?
I love Jodi Picoult! She has written some truly heartwrenching books. This...was not one of them. It was a great freshman effort by her daughter, with the backing of Jodi.

I like the book. It was an entertaining and quick read! It's interesting to think of the characters in a book as actors playing a role over and over again as each person reads a book. But it wasn't what I had expected. I knew going into this that Between the Lines was a YA book. However, I didn't expect that it would feel so targeted to a pre-teen audience.

2. Do the characters seem real and believable? Can you relate to them/ do they remind you of people you know?
This book is set going back and forth between a fairytale, so there's an a lot that you really shouldn't believe is "real". I think that all girls feel the teen angst that Delilah does - it's just part of growing up. It's easy to identify with feeling like an outsider or "uncool".

3. Is the ending satisfying? If so, why? If not, why not...and how would you change it?
I hate to say this...but I really didn't like the end. I won't spoil it for you, but the prospect of releasing Oliver from the book should not happen like that. Even though they don't spell it out - I think the ending would have been heartbreaking and unfair to another character.

4. If you could ask the author a question, what would you ask?
I just want to know what else she's working on. I can't wait to read her next book, and I'd probably read her daughter's next book too...just to see if she's as talented as her mom.

5. How do characters change or evolve throughout the course of the story? If so, how/why?
There really isn't much character evolution through the book. The characters stay true to themselves from start to finish. I wish that there had been some character growth, it might have made certain parts more engaging.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Between the Lines.