Mar's Reviews > The Blessed

Sep 14, 12

it was ok
bookshelves: written-reviews, ya, religious
Read from September 09 to 14, 2012

In this story we have 3 girls that find themselves in the brink of death at the same hospital. Agnes was taken to the hospital with slit wrist but she was saved. Cecilia was taken taken to the hospital for almost drowning found on a sidewalk but was saved. Lucy taken to the hospital for overdosing at a nightclub but was also saved. While they're there they each receive a bracelet given to them by a teenage boy named Sebastian but the only one that knows this is Cecilia. With his gift their lives are turned upside down. Now they feel drawn to him and a church following a religious and mystical path they don't understand while all hell brakes loose all around them.

The story was interesting but I did find a couple of things I didn't like for example the foul language. Although it was sporadic I felt it unnecessary. There were also a few descriptions of poor taste that could have been excluded. The amount of details and descriptions could also be cut short because it make the story progress slow. Adding suspense to the story is great but it seems to drag on for far to long. The plot doesn't seem to reach the climax of the story. Over a hundred pages read and you still don't know what's going on or have any information on the characters, the only information we have is how bad the storm is outside the church and bits of the girls stories that we pretty much already knew. With no action, once the climax is reached in the story it feels like its lacking something.

The storyline I thought was good bringing something religious from another time back to the present. I liked the mystery of the chaplets and what they represented for each. The background history that was given about the saints was also great. The foreshadowing of the events and the progression of the evil coming adds to the story but like I said before it would have been better in not as many paragraphs of details.

Overall an okay read but not something I would read again. I think the story could have be presented a bit better, I did find myself losing interest at different instances.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Blessed.

09/10/2012 page 68