Shawna's Reviews > Caressed by Ice

Caressed by Ice by Nalini Singh

Dec 18, 2008

bookshelves: author-nalini-singh, 2009-reads, best-top-favorites, favorites, hero-antihero-gamma, hero-abused-scarred-tortured-angst, hero-alpha‎, hero-im-gaga-over, heroine-abused-traumatic-past-rape, heroine-i-adore, i-read-own-faves-keepers, pnr-weres-cats-wolves-shifters, favorite-romance-series, scifi-futuristic-fantasy-misc-pnr, series-psy-changeling, favorite-romance-couple-hh-pairings, hero-cold-cruelbrute-dark-dangerous, enemies-to-lovers-opposites-attract, hero-celibate-virgin-virginesque, psychic-special-abilities-powers, angsty-dark-heavy-lotsa-drama, assassin-hitman, 5-stars-plus, heroine-kickass-spirited-strong, favorite-hottest-love-scenes-nookie, hero-brooding, brothers-sisters-cousins-family, hero-bad-guy-ruthless-villainous, hh-resist-cause-im-no-good-for-you, a-all-time-best-top-fave-dik-reads, a-all-time-favorite-hero, badass-kickass-motha-fucka, hero-dark-scary-cool-dangerous-dude, hero-dark
Recommended to Shawna by: Several GR friends
Recommended for: PNR fans
Read in August, 2009

5+ stars – Paranormal Romance

When I read Caressed by Ice, the third book in Nalini Singh’s amazing and unique Psy-Changeling series, I had the same type of deep, emotional reaction that I felt when I read another love against all odds paranormal romance favorite about a damaged H/H couple who heal each other, J.R. Ward's Lover Awakened. This is an intense, magnificent, emotional rollercoaster read and my favorite of the series so far.

Brenna Kincaid was a fearless, strong-willed Changeling wolf before she was abducted, brutally tortured, and mentally violated by a powerful, psychopathic Psy serial killer. After her rescue, it took the help of a powerful exiled telekinetic Psy assassin to heal her. She’s back among her SnowDancer wolf pack and trying to adjust and cope with being a survivor. Now there’s a copycat killer on the loose, and Brenna fears that the sense of evil she feels lurking inside herself resulting from her captivity and torture could mean that she’s become the very thing she fears and hates. The only person she feels who understands and can help her is the ruthless, cold, emotionless ex-Psy soldier Judd Lauren.

Judd “Ice Man” Lauren is a powerful Tk (telekinetic) Psy and an exiled member of the deadly Psy Arrow assassin squad. Now living as a defector among the SnowDancer Changeling wolf pack, he’s still as dangerous, distant, cold, cunning, pitiless, and unfeeling as ever, but something about Brenna awakens the man inside that he’s long denied. Still, he has to maintain the code of Silence and avoid feelings and emotion in order to control his deadly Tk gifts or else risk danger to himself and those around him, especially Brenna. But when Brenna is threatened, it stirs strong protective instincts that he’s never felt before. As extreme desire and passion explode between them, they’ll have to trust in each other to give their hearts, heal their souls, and save their lives.

The Psy are more determined than ever to enforce the mandate of Silence to protect the prohibition of all emotion, and the conflict between the Psy and Changeling (shifters that are both human and animal) races has escalated into a full blown war.

Judd and Brenna are an extraordinary couple and my favorite of the series so far. Talk about two people who couldn’t seem more wrong for each other: him a cold, ruthless, emotionless killer worthy of an Anne Stuart Ice novel who is unaccustomed and uncomfortable with feeling, sensation, and touch and a fiery, spirited, loving, sensitive she-wolf who needs comfort, touch, and love like she needs air, food, and water. Their tentative, yet powerful relationship is moving, emotional, sexy, passionate, and tender, and it’s a beautiful story about two people who are intimately associated with pain, loneliness, suffering, and evil who through each other find light, happiness, peace, and love. The romance in this one is slow building, but boy oh boy, when Judd and Brenna finally get together...YOWZA...it’s turn down the A/C, need a glass of ice water hot! I’m talking sex so wild that the furniture goes flying, tables get broken, and the bed gets busted (he is telekinetic after all)...HOT!

It’s a fabulous third installment in a phenomenal paranormal romance series that’s truly original in a saturated genre and my favorite of the series so far. I highly recommend this book to anyone who likes paranormal, sci-fi/fantasy romance featuring sexy shifters and cold, alpha heroes who have their hearts defrosted by love. Big 5 stars!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Caressed by Ice.

08/03/2009 page 285
80.97% "My favorite in the series so far! I love Judd "Ice Man"!" 4 comments
12/16/2016 marked as: read
show 1 hidden update…

Dina Wow, you're really hooked to the series! You're zooming through the books like there's no tomorrow! :)

valee I thought I was a quick reader, but you beat the hell out of me haha

Shawna Well, I've been stuck home on the couch sick since yesterday, so that's allowed for lots of extra reading time!

message 5: by Penny (new)

Penny Watson 5+ stars is good! I wanna read this!

Natascha Penny wrote: "5+ stars is good! I wanna read this!"

Nalini Singh is just plain awesome. Her second to last book of this series is the best, but they are all so yummy.

Shawna Nalini Singh's Psy-Changeling series is incredible! I love them all, but I think this and Branded by Fire are my favorites so far.

valee me too Shawna, those are my faves, as the last one.

◊♦ Naomi Wow, amazing review Shawna! Currently reading this one! xx

Shawna Thanks, Naomi! Hope you're enjoying the series! Singh is such a brilliant PNR author!