Michelle (Pink Polka Dot Books)'s Reviews > What She Left Behind

Aug 30, 2012

bookshelves: a-z-challenge
Read from August 30 to September 07, 2012

More at My Blog: http:/pinkpolkadotbookblog.blogspot.com

Sara's brother committed suicide and now Sara's mother tells her they are finally leaving her abusive father. She tells her to pack a bag and that she'll pick her up at school during lunch. Only her mother never shows. And when she gets home that evening her father is sitting in the dark alone. He tells her that her mom went out of town for work... instant panic!!!! Does this mean he found out about the plan? Or did her mother just tell him that so she could go get things set up for them somewhere? Sara chooses to believe the latter because otherwise her mother must be dead. She goes through the next week hoping upon hope that her phone will ring and it will be her mom.... it never is. She tries to keep the guy that's crushing on her at arms length because she doesn't want to involve him in her mess... but that's kind of hard when he's so wonderful. The more time passes the more panicked she feels and the less the chances that her mom will ever come home. With her dad being BFF's with the police in town, she knows her only option is to figure things out for herself...

This book!! It was part mystery, part heartbreaking abuse story, and part romance. I just loved the M/C. She was so in denial, yet she was really smart and actually had great instincts. I loved how she twirled her ponytail, played in the band, and could come up with answers for everything. She wasn't afraid to lie to whoever to get to the truth about her mom... even if she kind of already knew the truth, just didn't want to believe it.

Alex was too cute! I thought it was nice to see a guy who didn't really care about anything (although there is a reason for this) come on so strong to a girl. He liked Sara and made it known. This why I love YA... High School love is awesome!

I definitely could've used a smidge more in the ending (view spoiler).

Overall though I LOVED it... I love a book that makes me fly through it because I want to know all the answers!!

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What She Left Behind.

Michelle (FabBookReviews) This books sounds so terrifying & suspenseful! Interested to hear what you think!

Michelle (Pink Polka Dot Books) Michelle (FabbityFabBookReviews) wrote: "This books sounds so terrifying & suspenseful! Interested to hear what you think!"

I just started it, but it's intense already... and the m/c is awesome!