Whitney's Reviews > The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business

The Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg

Aug 30, 2012

I'm a big pop psychology fan . . . and this one might be one of my favorites. It was fun and easy to read, and the main theory behind the book was simple and easy to understand--and really stuck easily in my mind. Some books along these lines don't have very strong examples or case studies that seem to really provide concrete evidence for the premise behind the book--and for the most part, I feel like this one did. There were a few weak points, but overall when he was talking primarily about habits and the habit loop it was the strongest. It referenced several really solid case studies and also applied it more generally. The more science-y explanations about the brain were also interesting and added substance to the book. They weren't too complicated or high-brow science terms to be able to understand either.

I also liked the part at the end where the author applied it to real life . . . even his own life with something rather simple. I've thought about this book a lot since finishing it . . . the ideas in this book are definitely "sticky".

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Power of Habit.