Shawna's Reviews > Passion Unleashed

Passion Unleashed by Larissa Ione

Aug 13, 14

bookshelves: pnr-angeldemon-fae-magic-witch-misc, larissa-ione, favorites, i-read-own-faves-keepers, pnr-vampires, pnr-weres-cats-wolves-shifters, 2009-reads, hero-im-gaga-over, badasses-hunks-in-leather, hero-abused-scarred-tortured-angst, hero-bad-boy-playboy-player, hero-antihero-gamma, best-top-favorites, favorite-romance-series, im-a-cover-hottie-ho, why-do-good-girls-like-bad-boys, heroine-naïve-virgin-like-a-virgin, series-demonica-lords-deliverance, favorite-romance-couple-hh-pairings, tattoos-piercings-body-art, enemies-to-lovers-opposites-attract, brothers-sisters-cousins-family, satisfying-secondary-romance, exotic-wild-settings-survivor-lovin, apocalypse-postapocalyptic-dystopia, hh-warrior, 5-stars-or-higher, archaeology-antiquities-scholar, action-adventure-treasure-hunting, paranormal-romance, best-snarkasm-humor, a-all-time-fave-hero, a-all-time-best-of-best-fave-dik, hero-tattalizing, hero-black-sheep, hero-bad-guy-ruthless-villainous, heroine-good-girl-nice, hero-affable-lovable-rogue, hero-reformed-rake-player, hero-uber-tortured-zsadist-esque, hero-player-manwhore-sex-addict, hero-flirt-charmer-ladies-man, heroine-miss-independent, heroine-plucky-lively-feisty-spunky, heroine-kickass-spirited-strong, heroine-tomboy-lady-in-pants, best-wittiest-banter-dialogue, hero-alpha, hero-attractive-handsome-heartthrob, hero-stud-mantel-hall-of-fame, hero-walking-hardon, hero-cold-cruelbrute-dark-dangerous, hero-dark-scary-cool-dangerous-dude, hero-cocky-conceited-arrogant-ego
Recommended for: Paranormal romance fans and wicked bad boy demon lovers
Read in April, 2009

5+ stars – Paranormal Romance

Reading Passion Unleashed, I found myself once again transported to Ione’s sinfully decadent, wickedly dark, and utterly imaginative world of the Demonica with its diverse demon species, fallen angels, vampires, weres/wargs, werebeasts, shifters, slayers, humans, and half-breeds fighting for coexistence and peace. I’m continually blown away by Ione’s brilliance and creativity as a writer and the series just keeps getting better and better. Ione's writing is fresh, inventive, witty, and intelligent, the characters are sexy, original, and genuine, and the story is hypnotic and full of sizzling sensuality and dark humor.

I love level-headed Eidolon and smooth-as-silk Shade, but devil-may-care bad boy Wraith has always been my favorite of the Seminus Demon brothers, so Passion Unleashed is definitely my favorite in the series so far.

In Passion Unleashed, Wraith has been poisoned by an assassin and the only cure is to obtain a charm from spunky, inquisitive, spirited, independent archaeologist Serena. The charm/cure happens to be Serena’s virginity, and she’s pretty darn determined to hold onto it, despite Wraith’s smooth attempts at seduction, since she seals her own fate if she loses it. Wraith’s destiny is tied to Underworld General hospital and his brothers, so as he dies from the poison, UG deteriorates and his brothers’ lives are also at stake, which makes his choice to take Serena’s “charm” even more difficult.

The plot involves forces of good and evil engaging in the ultimate apocalyptic battle for the future of all races, which is also tied to Serena’s charm. Kynan and Gem’s relationship plays an important role in the story, as does the fallen angel Reaver, malevolent villain Byzamoth, and a new character, Lore, who will probably have his story told in the next book in the series.

Serena is a great heroine, loads of fun (sort of like a blonde, virginal Lara Croft), and her chemistry and banter with Wraith is delectable. Wraith has been a blast from the beginning of the series because he’s charismatic, wicked, funny, cocky, arrogant, honest, and lives for only hunting, fighting, and sex. Tortured bad boy heroes are always the most passionate and surprising because when they finally fall, they fall fast, hard, and completely, and Wraith is no exception. Wraith’s transformation and growth from an emotionally distant, reckless, pissed-off-at-the-whole-world, I-don’t-give-a-crap-about-anyone-but-myself, hedonistic bad boy personality to attentive, tender, caring, generous, protective, and affectionate lover is sweet, touching, and funny. Wraith and Serena’s relationship is heartwarming and bittersweet, and the plot keeps you guessing until the very end as to how things will get resolved for the characters to find their HEA.

The book has a Demonica Compendium in the back with all kinds of cool special content that makes for a kick-ass bonus.

Ione is definitely a fresh voice in the paranormal romance genre and her talent as a writer is first-rate. The Demonica series truly stands out for its originality, unique characters, dark wit, scorching sensuality, and raw eroticism. Passion Unleashed is a spellbinding and sexy read...a well deserved 5+ stars.

I’m eager for more of Ione's captivating, wicked hot saga, so I don’t know how I’m going to manage waiting almost an entire year before book four Ecstasy Unveiled comes out in February 2010!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Passion Unleashed.

04/02/2009 "Wraith is one wicked hot vampire-demon-bad-boy! Kynan and Gem better work out their shit or I'm gonna be pissed!"
04/02/2009 page 384
93.66% "Best in the series so far...I LOVED it! Wraith is the ultimate bad boy with a reluctant soft side. Simply awesome! Review coming soon."
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

MK (Food actvist) I am right behind you. I am so loving Wraith. Finding it hard to mold him into an easy category. But tasty and delicious come to mind =D

message 2: by Auntee (new) - added it

Auntee Wow, you're making this series sound good--I definitely need to 'bump it up'!:)

MK (Food actvist) I will just point people to your review, lol. Great review Shawna. You said everything I feel and then some =D

MelissaB I am loving this series so far, it is sexy, well-written, fun, dark - and the author isn't afraid to take chances.

Will the new series be related to this one? Is it in the same world?

Shawna I totally agree! According to Larissa Ione's website, there will be at least 2 more books in the Demonica series: Ecstasy Unveiled out Feb 2010 (Demonica bk 4, Lore’s story) and an as yet Untitled Demonica book 5 out sometime Fall 2010.

valee i couldn't have described this serie any better. What an awesome review. haha. This serie is one of the best i read so far. Can't wait 'till the next book comes out.

message 7: by Daisiemae (new)

Daisiemae Great Review, Shawna:)

Laura Great review, Shawna. I feel like I'm the last person on GR to read this series, but I'm totally hooked!

Shawna Thanks, Laura! It's an awesome series!

Carla "sort of like a blonde, virginal Lara Croft"

You could't have said better. This is exactly how I picture her.
Great review!