Lisa Vegan's Reviews > Minette's Feast: The Delicious Story of Julia Child and Her Cat

Minette's Feast by Susanna Reich

Aug 30, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: childrens, biography, nature, non-fiction, picture-books, gr-a, reviewed, 1-also-at-lt
Recommended for: those who like love stories, stories about cats, cooking; when one reader remembers Julia Child
Read on November 16, 2012

I think I would have enjoyed this book better back long, long ago when I was an omnivore.

If kids might be interested in the real woman, Julia Child, I suggest the 5 pages at the end be read first, or at least read. There is a photo of Child but otherwise the pages are mostly text based and contain an afterword, notes (the quotes in the book are from actual sources), sources, a glossary and pronunciation guide, and an author’s note.

I remember watching The French Chef cooking show with my parents when I was young. It was really big in 1964 and 1965; there were no other shows like it during that era.

In this story, I love how Child said that she took cooking more seriously than anything else, except for her husband and her cat. So, this is a cute cat story and a sweet love story. I like how French words are incorporated into the story.

But I was grossed out by the descriptions of the food. As a vegan I was appalled and not charmed.

The illustrations were mixed for me. Overall, I really enjoyed them. I felt kind of uncomfortable though with the picture of Minette the cat and the mouse. The mouse is cute and by that point in the story, the reader/listener knows that mouse is Minette’s favorite food.

2 ½ stars

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Minette's Feast.

message 1: by Petra Eggs (new)

Petra Eggs I could see how you would be grossed out, Julia was a major caarnivore.

message 2: by Lisa (last edited Nov 17, 2012 11:01AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lisa Vegan Petra, She sure was. And did they have to make that final mouse so cute?! I have no problems with cats eating mice, but do kids have to then be shown a mouse as a character, a cute character?!

LibertyE, It's a fabulous idea, and I hope I don't turn you or anyone off it. Many readers are enjoying the book, but it wasn't my cup of tea.

Some of the illustrations were lovely. There is one of a girl reading, lying on the floor, looking out the window (we see her from the back) looking out at Minette across the street, and some others, that are wonderful. And the love story is very sweet. And the background info on the back pages is very interesting.

message 3: by Lisa (last edited Nov 18, 2012 08:02AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lisa Vegan Abigail, Even though it was just okay for me, I think it's worth reading. I did like most of the illustrations and the story was sweet. I think you'd enjoy it.

Lisa Vegan Abigail wrote: "OK, thanks! There are some great new picture-book biographies out there. I'm trying to recall if I read much biography, when I was at that level myself. I'll have to ask my mother..."

I know that I did not. There weren't that many books out there that I knew of, at least as far as I know. Now, there are so many. It's wonderful. I know my fifth grade teacher had us writing historical fiction stories, but our sources were non-fiction text books.

Lisa Vegan Yes, it's a great era for them. There are many amazingly good ones.

message 6: by Barb (new)

Barb Middleton Ha! I like your first sentence. Nice review!

Lisa Vegan Barb wrote: "Ha! I like your first sentence. Nice review!"

Thanks, Barb. Yep, I'm afraid it's true. I did appreciate some of it now.

message 8: by Kathryn (last edited Dec 04, 2012 12:14PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kathryn Eeek! I was afraid that might be the case. I still haven't read this one and I guess I won't be in a huge hurry. I wonder if I could get past the non-vegan food. Sometimes I can, sometimes I can't. And the poor little mouse! Too bad, as it sounded like such a cute idea. But, of course, Julia Child was no vegan! ;-p I still really like and admire many things about her, but I don't have any interest in watching episodes of her cooking show anymore, LOL!

Debbie Graham If your child is really interested in cooking then this is a fine book...but otherwise...aside from the fact that Julia's existence probably helped Americans pay more attention to food quality, one wonders about her as a subject for a kid's book. As for cats and mice, a mouse is a perfect food for cats, c'est la vie.

message 10: by Lisa (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lisa Vegan I'm sure I can think of better books for kids interested in cooking. Many cookbooks are some of them.

I agree mice are great food for cats. My problem was making the mouse so adorable, facial expression and all, an animal a young child might feel attached. Of course, no actual hunting was shown.

Alice I'm an omnivore and I thought the mouse looked out of place, much of the story had a realistic feel and the mouse didn't mesh (although I loved the rest of the art)...even holding the cheese crumb was too Disney and old-fashioned in thinking. If you want to catch a mouse, you don't really use cheese anymore.

message 12: by Lisa (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lisa Vegan Alice, True re mouse and cheese, though I think the method is still still used in certain traps. Yeah, realistic, but sort of idealized too, I suppose. It's been 2-1/2 years since I've read it and this is one that didn't stay that fresh in my mind, so I don't remember it that well.