Karen's Reviews > Curio

Curio by Cara McKenna

Sep 07, 12

I read this book last week and there hasn't been one day since that I haven't thought of Caroly and Didier.

Erotica is always hit or miss for me. I'm not a prude when it comes to sex scenes but I need a relationship and plot not just hot sex.

On author Cara McKenna's Goodreads profile, her erotica is described as "A little dark, a little funny, always emotional."

I could not agree more. The story of Caroly and Dedier is so straightforward. A virgin visits the most well known male prostitute in Paris so she can learn from the best but the writing elevates this story to so much more.

Time and time again what you think you are reading is upended. Is Didier just fulfilling Caroly's fantasies or is he beginning to lose himself in his own fantasy? Is she the shy student now becoming the teacher? The dynamics change constantly. A small, humorous, unrelated story told between two lovers reveals yet another layer and comes around full circle later in the story.

If you've been curious to try erotica I would highly recommend Curio. The sex is deeply sensual and exploratory rather than raunchy. Both characters are stripped emotionally bare and I found that far sexier than any explicit language. I guess I would describe it as the thinking girl's erotica or maybe even psychological erotica. There is as much talking and revelations as there are hot sex scenes.

Curio is novella length and will be followed by five related stories called "Curio vignettes" that continue Caroly and Didier's journey.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Curio.