Tori's Reviews > Flight Behavior

Flight Behavior by Barbara Kingsolver

Apr 18, 14

bookshelves: book-club-books, fiction

I can't believe everyone who read this book didn't give it 5 stars!!!!!!! I absolutely loved it! In general, I have enjoyed Kingsolver's books anyway, but some are definitely harder to get through than others. (Poisonwood Bible - loved it, but not an especially easy read). This book, though, was a fairly quick read, and had some laughable moments! And lots of great quotes along with a fascinating story.

The story began in a very intriguing way. Dellarobia (great character and name) is married to Cub but on her way to have a fling with a younger man. Instead, though, she has a life-changing experience - seeing trees seemingly covered with fire in the forest behind her home, somewhere in Appalachia. The whole story is about climate change, but also deals with issues everyone can probably relate to - like looking back on your life and wondering what might have been, had you not made certain decisions.

I thought the characters in the story were well fleshed out. I can imagine Dellarobia - an intelligent girl, stuck in a school system and small town in which academia is not really valued and who married early because of an unplanned pregnancy. Cub is a nice guy who doesn't really think deeply about anything and goes along with what his parents decide for him. Hester, his mom, is not particularly friendly, but she has her own secrets and is protective of her son. Even Pastor Bobby is well drawn. And Kingsolver definitely is well-versed in the Bible, as are her characters. Dellarobia has some interesting conversations with Hester - and these make her examine herself and what she's become. She believed Hester often humiliated Cub - and was she now ending up doing the same thing?

The information on the migrating butterflies was fascinating. And how true it is that people generally do not want to hear the bad news about the environment, and tend to listen to "news" that corroborates what they already believe.

A few great quotes:

Ovid, the scientist, tells Dellarobia: "Science doesn't tell us what we should do. It only tells us what is."

Dellarobia thinks about her dog, Roy, "...as he hurried to put his small yellow tags on all of the yard's most notable points. The dog version of Post-its."

"Whoever was in charge of weather had put a recall on blue and nailed up this mess of dirty white sky like a lousy drywall job."

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Flight Behavior.

04/18 marked as: read