Nicole's Reviews > Underground: Finding the Light to Freedom

Underground by Shane W. Evans

Aug 30, 12

Read in August, 2012

When first glancing at this book, I didn’t know what to think of it. This book only has a couple of words on each page and the title is very creative so it doesn’t give away what the book is about.

When you turn the pages, the whole book is very dark and it discusses sad things like running away and death, then when you get close to the end the pages turn from dark to bright yellow and it says that they have reached freedom. It wasn’t until this point that I realized this book was about slavery but more specifically the Underground Railroad.

I would recommend this book for 4-6th grade because it has a deep message in it that is not obvious by the limited words on the pages. This book requires deep thinking. This would be a great book to introduce right before you talk about slavery or even what life was like for Blacks vs. Whites in the 1800’s. This book discusses the buying and selling of slaves along with many other topics that should not be discussed with students until they are a little older.

This is a fabulous book with a beautiful ending. I highly recommend this book and believe it would accompany a lesson on slavery perfectly.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Underground.