Jessica Shepherd's Reviews > Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail

Wild by Cheryl Strayed

Aug 30, 12

I love this book. First, Strayed is an exceptional writer. She manages to pack a lot into a sentence and I found myself going back to re-read some of her sentences just to let it roll over in my mind a little longer. Beyond this, in some cases a great writer can make a mediocre story great but truly her story is exceptional, too. This is the story of a woman who is so wounded and aggrieved that she cannot find her footing in life...so she hikes the PCT. On one level I feel it is a story for all women who have ever needed to break ranks from being who society tells us we should be and follow our own wild-ness -- including our need to grieve when we need to, make mistakes, and not try and rationalise missives issued from our core and instead follow them. On another, this is simply a story of the healing power of Nature, of one human being at her lowest low and finding refuge, healing, clarity in Mother Earth. I was inspired by the storytelling and visual imagery of the California coast, so much so that I have avoided the gym for weeks and am hiking instead!
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wild.