Erica's Reviews > The Troubled Man

The Troubled Man by Henning Mankell

Aug 30, 2012

Read from August 30 to 31, 2012

I have read all the Kurt Wallander books in order, and I loved what Henning Mankell did with Kurt in this final book. Kurt has always been a melacholy character, but in this final adventure he has become more like his late father and at times is just a plain old curmudgeon. But I like that his character has developed and in the course of 10 books and 20 Wallander years, of course the character has changed. Linda drove me nuts in some parts of this book, but she is her father's daughter.
I thoroughly enjoyed the story. There were instances of convenience that Wallander just happened to remember an expert who could guide him on his way, but I didn't really focus on these too much and found it easy to overlook because I was interested in the greater story. I was sad to read the end of the book only because I had to say goodbye to my beloved Wallander, who has not always been the most loveable person but for that very reason has always been real.
I prefered this translation better than some of the previous versions. I try not to judge the style of writing too much because I have no idea how much might be lost or altered during translation.
That being said, I loved the story, was eager to keep discovering more of it and will miss Kurt very much!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Troubled Man.