NixLapi's Reviews > Mr. Darcy's Refuge: A Pride & Prejudice Variation

Mr. Darcy's Refuge by Abigail Reynolds

Aug 31, 12

bookshelves: austen-fan-fiction, own-ebook, four-star, jaff
Read on August 30, 2012

Another fabulous variation by Abigail Reynolds! This is a new favorite Reynolds variation, mainly because it really varied from the original P&P, while still keeping Darcy and Elizabeth true to character, and of course ending up in each others arms (no spoiler there, it would be just wrong if they didn't!)

Beginning with Darcy's second trip from Rosings to visit Elizabeth at the parsonage (first proposal imminent), this variation asks what would happen if Darcy and Elizabeth (and half of Rosings tenants) are trapped in the parsonage due to flooding. With only a couple of key scenes kept from the original, this variation takes us on a completely new journey with Darcy and Elizabeth.

I love variations that include the more passionate side of Darcy, showing the ardent love for Elizabeth that exists underneath his very proper exterior - and this one did not disappoint in that arena. It also had me wanting to rant and rave against Mr. Bennet, and smacking some sense into a few of Darcy's relatives...

I especially enjoyed how some beloved supporting characters made only cameos in this version with some unexpected twists and not-before seen relationships... without including any spoilers it was indeed a fresh take on who ends up with who, and which younger Bennet sisters live with which older ones.

So a new fav variation by Reynolds!

[And was it just me, or was there a few pages near the end completely lifted from Darcy's Letter? I find Reynolds tends to do that within her variation series - I only notice it because I've re-read them so often, and often close together.]

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mr. Darcy's Refuge.