Bobby Simic's Reviews > Wishful Drinking

Wishful Drinking by Carrie Fisher

Dec 18, 2008

liked it
bookshelves: biography-memoirs

After spending 2 months on Octavian Nothing #2, this one came about like a much needed drink after a long day at work (metaphor so intended). I finished it in one evening.

Those expecting a chronological autobiography from the woman familiarly known as Princess Leia will be disappointed. This is more a recollection of some of her more bizarre memories. Fisher relates her experiences with space bras (or lack thereof), Paul Simon, showbiz parents (mother Debbie Reynolds steals the show, in my opinion), a gay ex-husband, drug and alcohol addiction, and, of course, corpses as bedmates.

It's an erratic read -- there are certain chapters that contain stories where I couldn't find the connecting theme -- but Fisher is a likable narrator, as she never treats herself or her life too seriously. Much of the randomness seems to be attributed to Fisher's electroshock therapy (Fisher's a proponent for the treatments), which she admits has eliminated memories, both good and bad.

I think this one would be better to listen to as an audiobook or to watch the one-woman show it's based on. Nonetheless, it's still highly entertaining and goes down easy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wishful Drinking.