chucklesthescot's Reviews > My Quest for the Yeti: Confronting the Himalayas' Deepest Mystery

My Quest for the Yeti by Reinhold Messner

Aug 30, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: asian, harsh-regime, historical, mountain-disaster, travel, true, myth-darkfantasy
Read from October 25, 2014 to August 29, 2015

This is a very misleading title which makes you thinbk that he had an encounter with a Sasquatch/Bigfoot type monster and then went looking for more. That is NOT what this book is about.

He is clear that what he saw was an animal not a legendary monster. He believes he saw a rare bear and spends the book looking for this bear which sometimes appears in local zoos, and is seen often in the mountains. The book is him asking questions about these bears, talking about local legends, seeing footprints and going camping and trekking to find more people to ask the same questions to. We also get long passages about local culture, history of Tibet and Nepal, anti communist lectures, Nazi occult studies and Sherpa tales.

If you are interested in the culture and history of these countries you might like this. But if you are looking for a story about wild Sasquatch, then this is not for you.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Quest for the Yeti.

10/25/2014 marked as: currently-reading
11/10/2014 marked as: to-read
08/29/2015 marked as: currently-reading
08/29/2015 page 47
25.0% "Why does he ask everyone he meets what they call the Yeti when they all give him the same darn answer???"
08/29/2015 marked as: read