Jamie (The Title Page)'s Reviews > UnWholly

Sep 06, 12

bookshelves: favorites, reviewed-more-than-3-stars, cover-love
Read from September 04 to 06, 2012

Rating: 4.5

I just finished this book. I had resolved to write my review in a few days, I like to let the book sink in for a bit before reviewing, but this goddamn book won't get out of my head.

Admittedly, this book was not as good as Unwind. But I read Unwind and then dove right into this one without a break.

I loved the way Shusterman alternated between, not only storylines, but different characters within the storyline. Most authors will give us a shocking discovery and then jump to a completely different plotline in the next chapter, but Shusterman jumps between different characters in one interaction. Absolutely genius.

I spend my work days reading, since I don't usually have enough "real work" to do. This book took 2 full days to read and I barely noticed the time flying by.

The way the author captures the personality of each individual, without letting them merge, without losing the story to senseless babble is amazing.

And then the moments... the big moments where something completely life-altering happens. He frames those so perfectly.

Then there are the deaths. (view spoiler)

This book is commendable. I can't wait for the next.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read UnWholly.

09/04/2012
17.0% "I am flying through this book and in turn, it's making my work day fly by! I wish it would never end haha."
09/06/2012
92.0% "Just read *spoiler* Trace's final chapter, I haven't read anything that sad in a long time, and to live it through his perspective...*/spoiler* Neal Shusterman, you really are an artist."
show 4 hidden updates…