Nicholas Karpuk's Reviews > True Enough: Learning to Live in a Post-Fact Society

True Enough by Farhad Manjoo

Feb 17, 09

Read in February, 2009

Not living up to the title irks me, even if the book remains thought-provoking and readable.

When you entitle a book with something like, "Learning to Live in a Post-Fact Society", there's an implication that you might drop a few bits of wisdom on what the hell you should actually do about the current state of affairs.

Farhad Manjoo sets up his arguments quite well, asserting that the changes in media and the way humans think has led to a fractured culture where people don't merely disagree but develop different versions of reality, but that's where it stops.

The slims last chapter discusses how much trust and optimism factor into a cultures' success were great, but it felt like the jumping off point for much deeper waters.

With a more decisive conclusion this could have easily been a four or five star book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read True Enough.

01/26/2009 page 30

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Colin (new)

Colin McKay Miller "All the science on how people select data and how deeply biases run was all quite thought provoking, there are bits that will linger with me for a long time, but I finished it feeling like I left the drive through and found out too late that they forgot something I ordered."

Excellent.