Carrie Ardoin's Reviews > The Templeton Twins Have an Idea

The Templeton Twins Have an Idea by Ellis Weiner

Aug 30, 12

bookshelves: arc, edelweiss, funny, middle-grade
Read in August, 2012

So there are these 13 year old twins, one girl and one boy. Their names are John and Abigail. Their mom has recently dies, and their dad takes a new job at a university far away, which means the twins, and their dog Cassie, have to move.

But as soon as the Professor starts his new job, curious things begin to happen. First, the twins get a bossy Nanny, called Nanny Nan. Then, a man accuses the Professor of stealing his idea for an invention. If they aren't careful, the Templeton twins themselves could end up in trouble--but luckily, they are both very clever.

I love middle grade books for their humor and light heart, and this book was a great example of that.

Though they are twins, Abigail and John are quite different. Abigail loves cryptic crossword puzzles, and John plays the drums. But they always can agree on one thing--coming up with cunning plans.

The story is told through a narrator, who addresses the reader and asks questions. This can be pretty hilarious. The only problem I had with the book did come from the narrator though. He (I'm assuming, as no gender was given) often makes asides. So often, in fact, that these side tales can distract from the very story he is trying to tell. Also, lots of explanation was given for terms a reader might be unfamiliar with. I get that this book is for readers much younger than me, but I'm of the opinion that when reading a book, it's a healthy exercise for a kid to have to look up or figure out foreign words and terms.

The villain, Dean D. Dean, was ridiculously silly and I loved it. But he was also a bad guy. The story in itself has a few scary moments (mentions of a gun, kidnapping), but I think it's not anything middle grade readers can't handle.

I very much enjoyed getting to know the Templeton twins, and I will gladly join them in their future adventures.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Templeton Twins Have an Idea.