Mari Anne's Reviews > The Raft

The Raft by S.A. Bodeen

Aug 31, 12

bookshelves: mg-ya
Read from August 30 to 31, 2012

2.5 stars... Another solid book by S.A. Bodeen, who is quickly, for me, becoming a go-to author for MG fiction. Bodeen definitely has range, as this is the third book I have read by him/her?, and all three have been drastically different.

THE RAFT follows Robie, a teen girl who lives with her biologist parents on the island of Midway. Robie survives a devastating plane crash and is forced to fight for her life in the middle of the Pacific Ocean.

One major plot point really bugged me. Robie was the child or biologists, living on an island and loved the ocean animals (but didn't like to go in the water!!??) and constantly referred to the tiger shark as a monster. Granted sharks are scary and deadly, but one would think that a biologist's child would understand the importance of sharks in the ecosystem. I'm just saying....

Like the rest of Bodeen's novels, the plot and story are wonderful, but the character development falls a little short. These books are really fast and fun reads but I think Bodeen has sacrificed depth for length. While I enjoy these books they don't seem to make a huge impact on me and they are fairly quickly forgotten. Kids though will probably love them, especially reluctant readers and those in grades 6 - 12.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Raft.