Julie's Reviews > Wall-to-Wall Dead

Wall-to-Wall Dead by Jennie Bentley

Nov 26, 14

bookshelves: gone
Read in September, 2012

I have enjoyed this cozy series and this one fit along with the others. The location , characters, and "real" occupations are interesting to me. While I've given it four stars, I think this book took a couple missteps that has put it a little behind the other books. (The four stars are more for the series as a whole, then this book stand-alone.)

In short, I think a bit too much was crammed in - too much character advancement, too complicated a story - that the whole suffered a bit. At the end of the previous book I had concern that the character development would continue to drag out too long, as happens in many cozys (see Joanna Carl). That issue was solved here, yet it was rushed so far that I felt like I was jipped a bit on the story. The "b" storyline of fixing up a house was used merely as a tool to introduce the murder and after the first 1/3 of the book wasn't brought up again. The murder mystery was fine, and although I knew something was up with the villian the only real clues you had were the fact that it was a standard setup ploy for such a book, so it had to be that person.

As mentioned, the series is entertaining and I hold it a bit above the rest in the genre. I think the missteps here are easily fixable. One thing to really watch out for is the heroine. She is quickly sinking into the untenable situation of annoying busybody. With this book I asked myself the questions of "why do people like her at all, shes so nosy? How is she keeping this guy by continuously doing what she does?" I'd recommend work on developing her rapport with others - give her some genuine friends (versus inherited from the boyfriend) in town, have her demonstrate why she's a worthy friend, and also show what she is bringing to her relationship. This will help counteract all the annoyances she brings to peoples lives.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wall-to-Wall Dead.