Laura's Reviews > Chicken Soup for the African American Soul: Celebrating and Sharing Our Culture, One Story at a Time

Chicken Soup for the African American Soul by Jack Canfield

Aug 30, 12

bookshelves: african-american, memoirs, essays, short-stories, young-adult, nonfiction
Read in August, 2012

I'm "forcing" my students to read Chicken Soup for the Souls books until the library opens next week. I have about 5 different sets. I've learned that my students learn well if I model it so every day, after taking attendance, I open up my copy of Chicken Soup and read along with them.

It's inspring to see the contributors to these books: Malcolm X, Nelson Mandela, etc. But it's also inspiring to see who inspires whom. There are some beautiful stories of Mean Joe Green, Maya Angelous, and Muhammad Ali and their interactions with the public. There are some inspirational stories of triumphs over racism, bigotry, and preconceptions we all have about each other.

One of my students who is reading the same book told me yesterday that the stories were a bit too mature for her... until she read the next story about the pregnancy of a 13-year old. The themes may be adult but adult situations happen to children every day.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Chicken Soup for the African American Soul.