Carien's Reviews > Alchemystic

Alchemystic by Anton Strout

May 19, 14

bookshelves: uf

This is a DNF review, I didn't finish the book.

This book is based on a short story Strout wrote in Spells of the City. I picked this book up because I really liked that short story and wanted more.

Yeah...

The gargoyle Stanis is really cool and I kind of liked the story idea, but I seriously disliked Lexi and her friends.

They were bratty and annoying and in Lexi's case even obnoxious at times. I put this book down around page 118 when I realised I really wanted to punch Lexi and her friends.

Although I will confess I'm curious about what happens to Stanis, I really don't feel like reading more about Lexi.

--------------
edited May 2014:

I tried to read this book back in 2012 and wasn't able to finish it. I just really, really disliked Lexi and her friends. A comment by Strout (which showed humor) on my DNF review however, decided to not immediately banish the book to my attic, but to give it a second try eventually.

So I finally picked this book up last month, and this time I read it all the way through.

It is a nice read.

I will confess I still really, really disliked Lexi and her friends. Lexi especially is bratty and obnoxious, and the way she treats her friends and Stanis is often horrible.

But this time I decided to try to keep my calm and read on, even though the urge to punch Lexi was overwhelming at times.

And I discovered that I really liked the story. At my first try to read this book, I was very intrigued by Stanis, and curious to find out more about him. This time was no different. I found myself drawn into the story and rooting for Stanis. I kept getting annoyed by Lexi and her two friends (who all acted like a bunch of loons, instead of their age) but not enough to toss the book again.

At the end of the book I even got the feeling Lexi and her friends might be learning, although maybe I just got used to their obnoxiousness. I will have to say I'm even tempted to try the next book in this series, something I would never have thought would ever happen back in 2012.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Alchemystic.