Alan's Reviews > Ash

Ash by James Herbert

1900015
Sep 04, 12

Read from August 30 to September 04, 2012

James Herbert's 'Ash' has been a long time coming. Protagonist David Ash returns after a long hiatus after 'Ghosts of Sleath' to be sent to the mysterious Comraich Castle in Scotland to investigate strange goings on.

Part conspiracy thriller and part horror, this novel is a great addition to the Herbert canon, with gruesome hauntings and it's fair share of nostalgic nods to previous novels including The Rats.

Whilst not quite what I was expecting, I was half expecting the recurrence of his sister at some point down the line, the novel is an excellent read and well worth the read.

Let down slightly by some of its conspiratorial sub plots involving the royal family, which add to the sense of grandness in a way, but overall make some of the later parts of the book a little cheesy.

Overall well recommended. I just hope that James Herbert continues his reign as the master of horror with another new novel in the future.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ash.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Alan So far, so good. One of the best chillers I've read in years. Six years I've been waiting for a new James Herbert book and this certainly hasn't disappointed so far.

message 2: by Karen (new)

Karen I've just downloaded this on my kindle, but I've also just realised that it the 3rd in a series.....do I need to read the first 2 to enjoy this one?
Thanks

Alan Hi, sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I don't think it's necessary to read either Haunted or Ghosts of Sleath first, as a lot of this ground is mentioned in Ash. It's beneficial to read them as Haunted definately stands as one of Herbert's best. Hope you enjoy/enjoyed the book