Kelli's Reviews > Nightfall

Nightfall by L.J. Smith

Sep 17, 12

bookshelves: young-adult
Read from September 15 to 16, 2012

This one was only just written in 2010. With that gap between 1991 and 2010, this story picking up right where it leaves off seems stale. I did like that, at least, the focus tries to stay on Damon. However, even with that the story gets weird.

And I mean..weird. Bizarre..Whatever.

I thought maybe this one would try to be like the TV show a little bit, since it was published a year after the first season. But I was very very wrong.
I am still trying to figure out if this is truly L.J. Smith writing this one or a ghostwriter, since most of the new ones are suppose to be a ghostwriter. And if it is a ghostwriter, I think the writer was having a laugh or wrote this while drugged.
I'll just power point it out to simplify---> a. Elena has come back as a baby that kisses people, b. Stefan cannot stop saying 'lovely love' and acting like a total love sick wimp, c. Damon's inner dialog is kinda fun to read, but still doesn't do him justice.
I actually enjoyed the fluff that the past series was, but this. THIS is highly embarrassing for whoever allowed this to go on print.

Stick with the TV show. Don't even touch the Return series.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nightfall.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nan (new) - rated it 3 stars

Nan This and the next were written by L.J. Smith. After the next one, the book packager she worked for (Alloy), forbade her from ever writing in the Vampire Diaries or Secret Circle worlds again. Sadly, the bad writing is rather obviously Smith's; it's like all of the worst aspects of her writing have been distilled over time into this. You can see the same bad writing in her earlier books, but it's more restrained (better editing?).

Kelli I know!! Its sad that it was her. The earlier books do have some really bad writing. I really only liked The Struggle from her 1991 books. I like the TV show plots. I think the book's plots are horrible and don't make sense at all.
I wish she hadn't even attempted to write more after so many years.