Patrice's Reviews > A Wild Night's Bride

A Wild Night's Bride by Victoria Vane

Ok, first off, I’m going to only write ONE review in favor of all four parts for The Devil Devere series because they all link together, and must be ready in order. Also, each section is a tight serial, novellas under 150 pages, which is one of the points that kept me from giving the entire series a five star rating.

Now, on to the star of the series and all around bad boy who is a force of nature in between the pages and the sheets.

Imagine meeting a good-looking, rakehell aristo who’s an interesting combo of modern day rock star and Lucifer’s bastard offspring, whose lawful name is Viscount Ludovic Devere, yet is known to all and sundry as “the Devil Devere”. Now place this larger than life character in a series that features him as the catalyst to a variety of kooky, romantic and lusty scenarios, and what we have is Victoria Vane’s The Devil Devere series, parts 1-4. Devere’s supporting role held me captive for a stint of two and half days of steady reading through each novella. Thankfully there will be more to come, and it was interesting to see what happened to this wickedly, unrepentantly debauched man, who had enough love, loyalty and honor to make you question why he was ever called Devil. Ahem, well no, I take that back. Once you see him in action, there is NO question about it, and yet, he’s all the more amusing and lovable. After all, Devere is a product of his time, heritage and status. The fact that he’s capable of true feeling is what sold me from the start.

This fascinatingly Byronic male brings to mind Dangerous Liaisons’ Valmont crossed with George Gordon, Lord Byron, mixed with a liberal dash of John Wilmot, Earl of Rochester , and is introduced in Victoria Vane’s first novel, A Wild Night’s Bride, which has him gallivanting around Regency England with his respectable best friend, Sir Edward Chambers, widower and father to 18 year old Vesta. Edward, or “Ned” as he is called, is in town on business and has been celibate for three long years, grieving for his wife. Devere is appalled at Ned’s self-imposed monkish behavior and bulldozes him into going to an infamous brothel. Ned encounters desperate, soon-to-be unemployed actress, Phoebe Scott aka Kitty Willis, who is shopping for a protector. With Devere involved a rather uneventful night turns into a fiasco bordering on treason, and what I appreciate the most is all the revelations that come tumbling out of the woodwork.

Phoebe and Ned are darling, sweet and passionately carnal without aid, yet Devere’s presence, along with his uninhibited self-absorption keep things lively and humorous. For some reason, Ned reminded me of Tim Tebow and Phoebe was Jessica Simpson. Hey, don’t look at me. It works for the comedic element that Ms. Vane skillfully wields throughout the plot, and the entire night is inventive and original. Also, this author knows and loves her subject matter in terms of delving in the historical research, from the setting to the social mores of the ton, which made her most endearing from page one. The additional notes were just icing on this saucy series.

Pros: What made this series awesome was: the insightful characterization, excellent historical research and effective, non-fussy details, bold, witty dialogue and the funny loving plot. Oh, whatever! Ludovic Devere is who makes this series rawk!! Along with the clean, crisp writing and originality, Ms. Vane can do no wrong with Devil Devere on the scene.

Cons: In A Wild Night’s Bride, I wanted Phoebe to gain closure for what happened to her in the past. I wasn’t pleased at the outcome, and yes, it was realistic, yet still felt like a betrayal to me and the character. Although Phoebe is rewarded with a big, well-deserved HEA my back was up at how she was left hanging. The true villain should have gotten a little stab through the gut—or something, if symbolically. *shrug* Well, at least I know what lies in the future of the cad. This dissatisfaction was the second reason why A Wild Night’s Bride got four stars from me on here.

All in all, I would have to say my favorites are the stories that directly involve Devere and special lady of his past, the beautiful Baroness Diana Palmerston-Wriothesley, who is —looks only, not personality—an auburn-haired Kate Winslet, January Jones, or Ava Gardner physical type when I visualize her. I’m still working on Devere, who I keep picturing as Stuart Townsend –I know, I know, visions of Lestat/Dorian Gray—or a dark version of Tom Hiddleston. Shades of Avengers’ Loki, go figure!

This is a series you don’t want to miss. It’s deliciously spontaneous, elegantly stylish with loads of lust, brass and sass from an author who knows what she’s doing and loves her characters while she’s getting it all done. Especially Devere, and if you take on The Devil Devere series, so will you.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Wild Night's Bride.