Vivian Archer's Reviews > Gold Digger

Gold Digger by Aleksandr Voinov

Oct 20, 13

bookshelves: own, 2013bingo, erotica-contemp
Read from October 18 to 19, 2013

Yum. Smart, sexy love story that made me laugh.

Nikolai is the Texas Ranger in this modern tale of rare metal mining cowboys. Cybele, a brash startup in the high stakes game of gold mining makes an overture for funding to expand operations to extract a major, untapped source. I like the Wild West references to the ex-Communist states and a big thank you for the incredibly sassy mythological references in this one. Not happy about the poor Attis boys of yore--definitely, want them intact. I think Henri would agree.

If Nikolai is the Ranger, then Henri is the slick robber baron heir. Henri's persona is reminiscent of Lord Blakeley of the Scarlet Pimpernel--easily dismissed as a dilettante, but hiding key skills from the ignorant and unworthy. That said, I want to drive his car.

Their meeting, an unexpected catalyst. Simply undeniably erotic, these two took several scenes from my personal "Best of" reel.
“Let me . . . see,” Nikolai said, breathless.
If that seems hot, then round two will just melt your ereader.

The story stands on its own, but another treat for "Special Forces" fans is a guest appearance by Vadim. The family context adds a lot to both this story and to Vadim's background. Still sexy, but mellowed by age and love. It is fun seeing him through Nikolai's eyes.

Now, I'd love to see more of this story not just because Nikolai and Henri are beautiful, but I'd enjoy finding out more about Ruslan, Nikolai's friend and boss. At first, I wanted to compare him to Reardon from "Atlas Shrugged", but honestly, he's Galt.

Favorite quote for personal reasons:

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gold Digger.

Quotes Vivian Liked

Aleksandr Voinov
“Holy shit, you’re the most accomplished stalker I’ve ever met.”
“It’s not stalking if you like it.”
Aleksandr Voinov, Gold Digger

10/18/2013 marked as: currently-reading
10/18/2013
20.0% "“Let me . . . see,” Nikolai said, breathless.

--Unbelievably erotic. Woof."
10/18/2013
29.0% "You’d be quite sane and well-adjusted if your family had happened to somebody else, his last ex had told him." 2 comments
10/18/2013
53.0% "Just, you know, if I believed in Hell, it would be sitting in a plane and never arriving."
10/18/2013
66.0% "Vadim’s lips moved into a sad smile. “I prefer you think of me as a good man, Nikolai. The things I did are not the deeds of a good man.”"
10/18/2013
69.0% "Nikolai paused while the waiter brought the coffee and water and then vanished back behind the bar to linger adoringly where Vadim sat, at the far end, back to the wall, seemingly playing with his smartphone—or really plotting who to kill first in this room with nothing more than a cocktail umbrella.

--Still in love"
10/19/2013 marked as: read

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bree Cheese (last edited Oct 19, 2013 06:44PM) (new) - added it

Bree Cheese You say it's a stand alone. But should I read Special Forces first? It's one of those books i've been meaning to read forever.

Vivian Archer It really can be read alone. You may not get all the references to Vadim, but they're not necessary to appreciate them and irrelevant to the context of this story.