jacky's Reviews > Learning To Swim

Dec 18, 08

bookshelves: 2008, poetry, lib-lahs
Recommended to jacky by: students VM and SK
Read in December, 2008

I had the libraian help me pull a bunch of books that are poetry, but tell a story; she called them poetry fiction. This book was one of them. A student read this during our 20 minute reading time one day, then her friend quickly checked it out to read. This speed and enthusiasm peeked my interest.

I really liked this book, as much as you can like a book about child abuse. The poet portrays the child's voice (really her voice as a child) very well with talk of crayons and dolls, but also the safty of her parents. I loved her word choice and imagery. I also thought that the decision to put the titles at the bottom of the page in lighter font was interesting. It was almost like one line or phrase was repeated again. For me, the titles at the bottom made the plot flow more than if it was interrupted by all the individual poem titles.

I wonder if authors of this type of book write the poems mostly in order. Or do they write a bunch of poems and then spread them out around them to craft the order?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Learning To Swim.