Juliet's Reviews > Before I Wake

Before I Wake by Rachel Vincent

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Before I Wake.

Quotes Juliet Liked

Rachel Vincent
“So don't. Come hang out with me at work. We can play naughty dress up with the hospital gowns and rearrange the supply closets.”

Rachel Vincent
“Forever used to feel like a curse. Now it feels like a promise.”

Rachel Vincent
“This seems headed into girl-fight territory," Tod said. "Should I make popcorn?”

Rachel Vincent
“Should I assume the lure is a certain attractive young dead man?”

Rachel Vincent
“Of every moment I've ever not-lived through, this one is the best”

Rachel Vincent
“It's suspiciously quiet in here, and there's a Tod shaped dent in the bean bag. For the sake of both my sanity and my temper, I'm going to pretend I can't tell that you're in his lap, so could you pretend that this is still my house and you are still my daughter, and I'm within my parental rights to kick your boyfriend out after 11:00 p.m.?”

Rachel Vincent
“I always knew my sexual prowess has the power to save lives."
"You can turn anything into an ego boost, can't you?"
"I have a healthy sense of my own worth. But I have an even better sense of yours."
"Aww...”

Rachel Vincent
“You're not lost, Kaylee. You can't ever be lost, because I'll always know where you are. And if I'm not there with you, I'm on my way, and nothing standing between us will be standing for very long.”
tags: love

Rachel Vincent
“But my hands are in the right place."
"Heart," I corrected. "Your heart's in the right place."
"Yeah, but my hands are in an even better place."
And so they were.”

Rachel Vincent
“I love you, Kaylee. More than I've ever loved anyone. More than I will ever love anyone. If I could freeze this moment in time and never have to let you go, I would do it without a second thought.”

Rachel Vincent
“I don't want to wear your dad's clothes. He hates me."
"You'd rather wear mine?"

Nash scowled.”

Rachel Vincent
“Sabine gestured to him with the half-eaten crust. "I like him. Not sure why he's wasting his time with the pole dancer, though."

Tod laughed out loud and I groaned. "Sophie takes ballet and jazz. She's not a pole dancer."
"There's more money in pole dancing," Sabine insisted.”

Rachel Vincent
“Tod's eyes widened and his irises swirled in tight twists of blue. "Well, I don't see that I have much of a choice, considering that's part of Reaper Law."
"There's a Reaper Law?"
"Of course. 'A reaper is Trustworthy, Loyal, Helpful, Friendly, Courteous...'" He shrugged. "It gets boring after that. But this situation is clearly covered under the 'helpful' category."
I rolled my eyes. "I think that's the Boy Scout law."
"They took it from us. But they left out all the good stuff.”

Rachel Vincent
“But I'll be fine. I'll be with Tod. He's a good guy, you know." He just hides it under all the sarcasm and curls.”

Rachel Vincent
“How long until you have to go...reap?" I whispered as my arms slid around his neck. Like we were dancing. Only we weren't moving, and there was no music.
"Don't know. Don't care."
"Won't you get in trouble if you miss something?"
"See my previous answer.”

Rachel Vincent
“She got to you, too, huh?" I said, sliding onto the bench seat across from him.
"Actually, I called her." Luca grinned. "I'm vomiting from a possible case of food poisoning. You?"
"Sudden onset menstruation."
He nodded respectfully. "Classic."
"Yeah, but I should have gone for something more long-term. Yours will get you out of the whole afternoon. Ferris Bueller would be proud.”

Rachel Vincent
“Sophie glanced from me to Sabine, then back, scowling. "I'm not scared of her. I can handle myself."
"Yeah, and hissing kittens think they're badass too," Sabine said.”

Rachel Vincent
“If you want to call yourself my friend, you should know that position comes with boundaries."
Sabine frowned. "I'm no good with boundaries."
"Yes, and the ocean is damp. Can we be done with
the understatements now?”

Rachel Vincent
“Why? Why is this happening to me?" Sophie asked.

Sabine rolled her eyes. "Because you're the beautiful fairy princess and the evil Lord of Hell can't secure his kingdom until he's feasted from your flesh and slaked his thirst with tea brewed from the ashes of your incinerated bones."

Nash groaned, and Tod laughed out loud.

Sophie hiccuped, and turned to me, frowning. "Is she serious?”

Rachel Vincent
“Are you going to deliver whatever threat Avari sent you with, or are we going to have to start guessing?" Tod said. "I gotta warn you, I'm insanely good at charades.”

Rachel Vincent
“Levi will kill me the minute he sees me, and I don't trust Madeline. There's something in her eyes..."
"I believe that's integrity and dedication in her job."
"Yeah. It's disturbing.”

Rachel Vincent
“Careful, pot" Tod said. "Someone might notice your resemblance to the kettle.”

Rachel Vincent
“No, you should stay right where you are, or my estranged brother and I will settle our difference by seeing who can break more of your bones."

Tod glanced at him, brows raised. "You want to settle our differences?"

Nash frowned. "No, I want to break every bone in his body, and I didn't think you'd let me do it alone."

Tod nodded. "Good call.”

Rachel Vincent
“Hey." Tod squeezed my hand to draw me out of my thoughts. "I think death looks good on you.”

Rachel Vincent
“Bold. Risky. Dramatic. I approve.”

Rachel Vincent
“Dad, I can count the number of normal school days I've had this year on one hand.”

Rachel Vincent
“She just got out of the hospital. Why don't you go gossip behind her back, like decent people?”
tags: emma

Rachel Vincent
“The world lost something when you died, Tod, and I know that wasn't easy for your family. But the world's loss was Kaylee's gain. I hope the two of you have the forever her mother and I never got."
"I will do my damnedest to make sure of that."
"I know you will.”
tags: aiden

Rachel Vincent
“I signed on for the role of ‘boyfriend,’ not ‘conscience.’ If you want wholesome and ethical, you’ll have to look elsewhere. But I promise that won’t be half as much fun as this is….”

His hand slid down my side and over my hip, and my heart beat faster.”

Rachel Vincent
“And I met Madeline's necromancer. His name's Luca."
"A death detector?" Tod made a face. "That's creepy."
"It gets weirder. He's dating Sophie."
"On purpose?”